The "Great American Yacht Classics" Series

Distinctive, limited-edition, fine art prints commemorating magnificent yachts from "America's Golden Age."




Justice
- Builder and Owner History

Consolidated Shipbuilding Company ~ Morris Heights, NY ~ 1930

Specifications: Model: Commuter - Hull: Double-planked Mahogany and Pine over Oak - LOA: 75'6" - Beam: 13' - Draft: 4' - Displacement: 31 Tons - Machinery: Twin FPT 825 HP Turbo Diesels - Cruise: 25/33 Max - Original Power: Twin Winton 500 HP Gas Engines - Cruise 25/30 Max - Fuel/Water 900/350 Gals.

Builder History: Consolidated Shipbuilding Company was formed in 1896 in Morris Heights, New York as the result of a merger with the Gas Engine and Power Company and Charles L. Seabury & Company. Between 1917 and 1933 this legendary builder produced more commuters than any builder in the world by a large margin. Many considered Consolidated’s Speedway Series the finest express yachts of the period. Satisfied clients agreed and their number of customers expanded to include the likes of the Fleishmann, Howell, Simard, Bowes, Madsen, Hoyt and Milbank families, the captains of industry and finance during this exciting time in our
nation’s history. Like other legendary boat builders, however, Consolidated experienced great difficulty staying alive during the post war period. The last recorded launch at the Morris Heights facility occurred in 1948 whereupon the operation relocated to City Island. In 1956, fire destroyed the entire complex, a disaster from which Consolidated never recovered.

Vessel History: Designed by John H. Wells, “Justice” was originally christened “JEM” and launched in 1930 for owner Jeremiah E. Milbank, who used her primarily for commuting between his Connecticut home and the financial district in Manhattan. In 1973, the boat became part of George Lauder's antique boat collection and her name was changed to “Jessica”. In 1986, the entire collection was gifted to Mystic Seaport Museum with the proviso that Raymond Thombs remain Jessica's master, a position he'd held since 1947. Ted Valpey Jr. of Dover, NH purchased the boat in 1987, retaining Thombs, who then remained captain until 1998 when the vessel was
sold to Arthur Halleran. During his six years of ownership, McMillen Yachts executed a major refurbishment. In 2003, the boat was sold to Pepe Fanjul and documented as “Azucar”. In 2006, the boat again changed hands and was renamed “Justice.” In 2007, Moores Marine completed a major restoration and as of 2013 the vessel remains under the stewardship of her New York owners.



  Archival Pigment Print Limited Edition: 100
Size choices: Large* 20"x 30" I Medium 12"x 18"




"The Presence of Beauty Makes A Difference in the Quality of Life for All
."

© Robert E. Webber. All Rights Reserved
Website: ArtSource Studio