Builder and Owner History
Yacht Building Company ~ Camden, New Jersey~ 1926
Specifications: Model: Houseboat - Contract #: 181 - LOA:
104' - LWL: 97'9" - Beam: 19' - Draft: 5' - Machinery
(current): Twin John Deere Turbo Diesel 6125s - Cruising
Speed: 13 Knots - Fuel (current): 1500 Gals Diesel (then
gas) - Hull (current): Double-planked West System, laminated
Doublas Fir on stern, bent laminated White Oak frames
- (then) Long-Leaf Yellow Pine over Oak framing - Displ.
156 gross/136 net tons
Builder History: The Mathis Yacht Building Company was
formed in 1910 with William Robinson elected president
and John Trumpy as vice-president. The brainchild of John
Trumpy, the firm remained in Camden, N J for forty years.
Upon the death of Mr. Robinson in 1939, Trumpy was named
president. Shortly thereafter the company relocated to
Gloucester City, NJ and in 1942 the operation was renamed
John Trumpy & Sons. Throughout this dynamic period
Mathis distinguished itself for luxury watercraft and
their client list literally became a Who's Who in America's
upper classes. Prominent names included the duPonts, Cadwaladers,
Guggenheims and the Cudahys to mention a few. In addition
to producing 165 magnificent yachts (power & sail)
during this period, the company also manufactured approximately
226 other assorted military craft including wooden aircraft
hulls, tugs, sub-chasers, crash boats and patrol vessels
for the Navy, Coast Guard and our war allies.
Vessel History: John Trumpy designed “Freedom”
in 1926 for Aubert J. Fay of Boston, MA. Significantly,
this yacht introduced the more efficient rounded (elliptical)
fantail stern configuration, a John Trumpy innovation.
In 1933, she was sold to Mr. J.W. Donahue. In 1939, the
boat was purchased by Mr. S.A. Lynch, renamed “Sunset”
and moved to Miami, FL. In 1942, the boat was acquired
by Mr. Herbert M. Plimpton and from 1950-1970 was owned
by Mr. Lewis M. Adams. For the next 30 years, Sunset was
held in a Delaware Corporation and from 1970-1974, she
was operated by the International Oceanographic Foundation.
In 1974, Sunset was sold to
Eileen and Carl Rose; from 1976-1981 the vessel was owned
by the Meeting Place Ministries then the Fellowship Church
and Ministries, Inc. From 1981-2001, Mr. Ashley Howes
of Pinehurst, NC became steward of the boat. Her final
years were spent in Palatka, FL in derelict condition
secured to a face pier in a marina on the St. Johns River.
In 2002, Sunset was purchased by Yacht Freedom, LLC and
re-named “Freedom.” On May 9, 2009, following
nearly 5 years of work, this majestic yacht emerged from
a spectacular $6.5 million restoration. As of this remarkable
re-launch, she proudly flies the colors of McMillen Yachts
& the New York Yacht Club.