Builder and Owner History
Drydock & Machinery Company ~ Seattle, WA ~ 1930
Specifications: Designer/Builder: Ted
Geary/Lake Union Drydock & Machine Works Year: 1929/1930
LOA: 96" LWL: 89' Beam: 18' 10" Draft: 7' 6"
Wt: 89T Machinery: 2 x 325hp Cummins Speed: 12.5/10 (max/cruise)
Range: 1500NM Hull: Teak/Mahogany/Yellow Cedar/Douglass
Builder History: Lake Union Drydock and Machine Works
was founded in 1919 by Otis Cutting and J. L. McLean.
In the 1920s the firm was known for well-built motor yachts
and became associated with naval architect L. E. (Ted)
Geary. Geary designed, and Lake Union built, a series
of luxury fantail motor yachts that in 1928 included "Principia"
& "Blue Peter" followed in 1930 by "Electra"
and "Canim". After a joint venture to build
minesweepers for the U.S. Navy in 1941, the firm became
Lake Union Drydock Company in 1945. As of 2009, Lake Union
continues to prosper at its primary business of maintaining
and repairing ocean-going vessels. Interestingly, this
company has the distinction of having the last remaining
all-wooden pier in Seattle, WA.
History: Over 80 years "Canim" has been under
the stewardship of 19 owners and briefly two name changes.
Some notable owners include Col. C.B. Blethen (owner publisher
of the Seattle Times), Natalie Keaton, (widow of silent
movie star Buster Keaton), Clessie Cummins (founder of
Cummin’s Diesel Engines), and Wagner Erhert (EST).
She was sold at auction in 2000, then underwent a one-year
renovation at the Philbrook Boatyard in Sidney, BC. In
2004, Martin & Lisa Sutter encountered her cruising
the British Virgin Islands and embarked upon a two-year
quest to purchase her. Finally acquiring the boat in 2006,
she was returned to the BVIs, and began the Sutter’s
program of returning "Canim" to her classic
origins from an earlier period. As of 2008, this magnificent
yacht calls Harbor Springs, MI home.